Saturday, August 9, 2008

Editors and Assistants

I've been working with a very nice Editorial Assistant on my YA ms at a small press. We've done two revisions so far. Last month she sent me an email telling me she is "waiting to get some feedback from other editors" on my manuscript. Can you give me some feedback on where I stand here. I'm not sure of what to expect.
Two revisions is one too many without a contract, if you ask me. But hey, if you agree with her feedback enough to have wanted to revise the manuscript in the ways she suggested anyway, sure, whatever.
No editorial assistant is going anywhere with that manuscript without a bunch of support from the editors at her house, but it's a bit of a foot in the door--at least you've got a voice on your side at the publisher, if not in the meeting where acquisitions are approved.

Cross your fingers and see if anything happens.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with this. Doing revisios for editors without a contract sucks big time. I did it once and the editor then turned down the ms. Crossing my fingers for you!

Anonymous said...

Please excuse my lack of "n" in the above post. :)

Anonymous said...

This happened to me and let me tell you that while the editorial assistant's advice was useful, I revised TWO manuscripts more than once for her without a contract and got two rejections in the end. Plus she rejected two other manuscripts. On the plus side, I did, however, start looking for an agent and mentioned in my query that an E.A. was working with me. It got the interest of agents and my writing did the rest and I ended up with multiple offers for representation. In the end, the E.A. got promoted to Editor, which would've been useful except that one of the rejections was for the manuscript my agent LOVES (a revision she doesn't want to read). So in the end, we are going elsewhere. I agree that two revisions without a contract are too many, but if you don't have an agent, try and use this to your advantage. Don't lie or exaggerate in your query, but it's okay to say that "so and so" has shown interest and is reading a revision, or whatever. In fact, this E.A. even gave me a list of agents that she'd heard were very good.

Anonymous said...

um, isn't free advice from editors a good thing? since when does honing one's craft "suck"? Isn't that the point? part of the problem in publishing these days is that everyone's focused on the sale, not the work.

Unknown said...

I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat penyakit crohn Alami
Obat Benjolan Nanah
Pengobatan Jamur Pada Selangkangan
Cara Mengobati Eksim Kering
Obat Kanker Paru Paru Kronis