Saturday, May 17, 2008

Making Up for Lost Time

Ok, I have some catching up to do. The backlog that occasionally overwhelms all editors (even compulsive ones like me) struck this spring. Happily, I've fought it out and will not be joining the ranks of the permanently backlogged (like some people I know, and feel for).

First off: you wanted to know what happened to the manuscript I was all excited about in early November: I showed it to a few other people here, and some of them said "eh" (they were wrong, obviously) and some of them had questions. I asked the author for a rewrite, and got it. It was even better! I took the rewrite to an acquisitions meeting, and there was again a small (and wrong-headed) percentage of "eh," but happily no one listened to the nay-sayers and I prevailed! I acquired it last month. And now it is mine, mine... mwah-ha-ha!
Now I move on to plotting the eventual downfall and subjugation of all readers to its charms. And it needs an illustrator. That, too.

Next: the Poetry Contest! Only two months late! Grand prize winner gets swag mailed to him/her from BEA.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Grand prize winner gets swag mailed to him/her from BEA."

Ummmm... huh?

Anonymous said...

Is the contest still open?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your aquisition! Of course we will never know what book it is but I hope it goes on to great success!

Anonymous said...

Choosing an illustrator--now there's an interesting topic for a post....

Miss Awesome said...

yes, I'd like to hear how you choose your illustrator. As an illustrator and all...do you meet with an art director and find something you both like or do you just hand it over and they choose? Or does the author have some say in it?

Andy J Smith illustration said...

All of that sounds very familiar. All up until the part where the book is acquired.

Andy J Smith illustration said...

AND Speaking of choosing an illustrator, I wonder if EA and her faithful readers might help ME choose an illustration STYLE. My current style is undergoing some tweaking...
http://sillydrawings.blogspot.com/2008/04/case-in-point.html
THANKS!

Editorial Anonymous said...

1. Are you confused about "grand prize winner," "swag," or "BEA"?

2. No, the contest is closed. I've just taken a really long time compiling the results.

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Big Momma Pimpalicious makes me giggle.

Paul Schmid said...

Choosing an illustrator for a particular book would be, of course, determined largely upon what suits the feel of the book.
But I would love to hear you articulate what it is in an artist's portfolio that makes you say: "Here is someone I want to use someday."

Unknown said...

I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Tips Pencegahan Diabetes
Cara Menghilangkan Sakit Tulang Belikat
Obat Akibat Benjolan Asam Urat
Obat Kanker Ginjal Tanpa Cuci Darah
Tips Sembuhkan Benjolan Pada Leher