Friday, July 20, 2007

Shining the Teacher's Apple?

A few years ago, I read a bunch of those "advice for authors" books. They all agreed that in a good query letter one MUST mention a few books from the publisher's backlist and a GREAT query letter also mentions why those particular books are wonderful.

So fast forward to today - I've actually got writing credits now and I like to keep my query letters short. Is it all right to assume that editors KNOW what's on their backlist and KNOW they're good books? It's not like they'd publish junk!

I always CHECK the backlist to make sure my book is a good fit, but I'd really rather spend the query talking about MY book... not what they've already published.... somehow it doesn't seem like a good use of anyone's time to include a paragraph like:
Your firm has a history of publishing fabulous picture books involving meter and rhyme. I especially liked Peach at the Beach, Carrot in a Garret and Babbage the Cabbage. I think my book, Celery in Hell-ery would be an excellent addition to your luminous list!
So, what says an actual editor who has to read millions of these things?


Your pub credits are much more interesting than praise for our list (assuming they're credits at houses I'll recognize).
But for those of you reading the blog who haven't got any pub credits, don't bother including a paragraph like the one above. If you're going to show that you know what the publisher publishes, it involves more than mixing some titles with some positive adjectives. Say why the books you mention are good, or talk about something else.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I care about is whether the writer knows enough about our list to send something that won't waste my time.

A line or two that indicates yes, you've done your homework will suffice. Name a title or two if you really, truly love them, but don't do it just to butter me up.

Not to mention there's always the outside chance that the book you've just name-dropped didn't do well, or was somehow a disaster, or just something that the editor isn't interested in doing any more (i.e., "oh no, the last thing we need is another Babbage Cabbage") If you're going to associate your manuscript with another title, make sure you've got very good reason to do so.

Deirdre Mundy said...

Thanks for the answer!

Though to clarify, all my credits are currently from magazines -- But they're magazines most people in children's publishing would recognize...

I'm glad to know that kissing up is not an essential part of a query letter.... =)

order paper said...

Excellent work! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...


Friv - Juegos de futbol - Mapas Minecraft

Letras de Bts

Unknown said...


The article is very good, I like it very much.Here I learned a lot, then I will pay more attention to you.I am impressed by the quality of information on this website .
I hope you also will access and follow my web. Thanks
jogos friv