Saturday, December 19, 2009

Agents Old and Agents New

I read your blog regularly, and it's been a tremendous help to me in learning about the industry. I finally received an offer of representation after months of querying, but I have a question about dealing with multiple offers. I've read a few posts on your blog that have touched on this topic, but mine has to do with young, inexperienced agents. Is it wise to go with an agent who's brand new, no clients, but comes from a very reputable agency? Or should I always go with the more experienced agent? I'm also young and new and all that, and I firmly believe in the mantra that everyone has to start somewhere. On the other hand, I want to make sure I'm giving myself the best possible chance to get published.
I would be hesitant to sign up with any new agent who wasn't with an established agency, but if your choice is between a hungry, energetic, and ambitious young agent who has an established agency to mentor him/her in the business and an experienced agent who has a record of great sales and great service to his/her authors, I'd say the choice has to come down to personality. Because either could be great for you.

9 comments:

Lisa Desrochers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DK said...

I think I would go for the young one... He would be more commited.

Anonymous said...

I've had the great fortune to have both a young hungry agent with a mentor at an excellent agency and a well-established agent with fabulous contacts. I have no complaints about either agent, and would agree that you should probably let personality decide at that point.

Anonymous said...

You need to ask each what changes they expect you to make before they submit to editors. Agents hardly ever send a ms out as is, and if an agent's vision for your book is whacky, and they expect you to CHANGE stuff, you're not going to be happy if you choose the wrong one.

Unknown said...

I am trying to find an agent for my children's book. I contacted the CB Agency and they have accepted my work, however they want me to have a critique done by an editor. They say they will give me the name of a "sister company" and it will cost 70-90 dollars, but that they do not charge anything or do the editing.

Do you know about them?

Thanks!

Editorial Anonymous said...

If by "CB Agency" you mean Curtis Brown, yes, they're legit and a good agency.
If you're talking about some other CB, no idea.

Anonymous said...

Been there.

If you are young, the younger, hungry agent at the good established agency is the better choice. You'll be one of his biggest fish so he'll have time to devote selling your work, you'll grow up together, and you won't have to shop for another agent in ten to fifteen years.

Unknown said...

I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat Alami Untuk Ibu Hamil Yang Aman
Obat Benjolan Di Leher
Pengobtan Diabetes Herbal
Obat Syaraf Kejepit
Cara Mengobati Penyakit

Slot said...

มาทุกครั้ง
เว็บสล็อต-xo-2021