Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Lions Say They've Refused to Eat You Before

I love to write. If I can post it, blog it, write it in some fashion, I do. Like most who visit your site, I believe I have something to offer. I've toyed with the idea of finally submitting one of the many projects I've written. The only problem is knowing how and to whom. If I write small, inspirational pieces, would I query online blogging sites, magazine publishers and the like?
Another problem is knowing who to ask for advice. I am a children's editor at a book publisher, which means I don't know anything about adult publishing, magazine publishers, or large (multiple-source) blogs.
Also, what would be the best way to initiate a contact with an agent or publisher?
Following their submission guidelines.
Is it appropriate to query more than one publisher at a time with the same article or story?
Yes, as long as you're not disobeying someone's submission guidelines.
Also, is it wise to query more than one publisher or agent with the same piece?
It's unwise to query publishers and agents at the same time. If you want an agent, only query agents. No agent wants to agree to take you on safari only to find out you've already been stomping all over the veldt and have scared off all the wildlife.
What is the best way to initiate contact for freelance work for magazines or other publishers?
Submit your resume (including past published work). We don't have time to sit and read a bunch of writing samples, so we look for people whose writing is good enough to have been published before.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you describe things. The safari and the veldt was so perfectly clear. Thanks for blogging!

LA Bug

R.J. Anderson said...

No agent wants to agree to take you on safari only to find out you've already been stomping all over the veldt and have scared off all the wildlife.

Best. Metaphor. Ever.

Anita said...

I just got my hands on a book titled THE WRITER'S DIGEST GUIDE TO QUERY LETTERS by Wendy Burt-Thomas. It very nicely answers these questions in depth.

Darcy James said...

Excellent. Absolutely loved reading and very helpful at the same time 🙂